Sunday, May 2, 2010

Homecoming

We made it! We are back in Seattle and by all measures we had a very successful trip. The trip home took 67 hours from the time we left our 'house' in Mazar-i-Sharif until we arrived at Sea-Tac airport. I have a lot more to report and share so please keep following the blog. Time, logistics and infrastructure (power, internet) limitations kept me from posting more than I did. I will catch up over the next week. For my friends and family in Seattle, I will also be hosting some 'gatherings' to personally share more pictures, videos, observations and stories.

My heartfelt thanks to Vicki, Brett, Alicia, Scott, Mom, Dad, Kim, Carrie ... the entire family and circle of friends who have kept me in your hearts. Please know you were in mine as well.

I cannot express enough gratitude to Julia who invited me to join her on the journey she has been on for the last eight years. It is an honor and very humbling. The privilege of her friendship and the passion of her commitment are life changing.

Thanks to Ken, who was a great traveling buddy and whose sense of humor made every experience a pleasure.

Thanks also to our hosts in Kabul and Mazar-i-Sharif who provided their safe and warm homes with us.

Last but not least, I want to thank the people of Afghanistan. They are are strong, friendly and generous people - sharing meals when it was the only food they had for the day, giving gifts when they had nothing else to their name. and making me feel welcome despite the dire circumstances in which they live. They gave me more than they will ever know and more than I can possibly repay.

Tashakor

No comments:

Post a Comment